YouthBuild Vancouver project seeking help from building community
Through the YouthBuild Vancouver project 60 disadvantaged youth will contribute to their community while completing their secondary education, gaining real-world construction skills, and preparing for future work and education. In a strengths-based and collaborative approach the Southwest Washington Workforce Development Council will provide an integrated program that benefits youth through the expertise and commitment of Partners in Careers, Innovative Services NW, Evergreen Habitat for Humanity (Habitat), WorkSource Vancouver, Vancouver Housing Authority, Northwest College of Construction, construction firms and apprenticeship programs. Low-income youth (ages 17-24) who are high school dropouts and experience additional barriers will engage in meaningful and important work through a program that provides a clear path to future opportunities. Youth who successfully complete the program receive guaranteed college entry, pathways to apprenticeship, and employment interviews/preferential hiring.
Key program offerings for youth include:
- Completion of High School Diploma or GED.
- Completion of 2 nationally recognized certifications in construction (NCCER).
- Completion of 2 home builds through partnership with habitat for humanity
- Community service opportunities
- Employment coaching and support
We are in need of home builders and construction companies to assist us in serving these youth. The list below is just a few ways we would love to partner with companies to better serve our youth.
- Construction Site Tours- Allowing us to bring a group of students out to see a build in progress
- Assist in Trainings– This could be as simple as putting on a safety class or participating in Mock Interviews, or coming and speaking to a large group of students about our local industry outlook.
- Career Mentorships– this would be meeting with a youth 1 on 1 to discuss industry and career opportunities
- Woman in the Industry– Anticipating that we will have some young woman in the program, we would like to have some small group sessions for them, where they hear about how woman are successful in the industry.
- Job Shadows– This would be allowing a youth who has completed both of the NCCER certifications and Home Build project, to spend a few hours observing an employee while at work.
- Hiring Preference– After completing our program, our youth will be eager to apply their learning and experiences in an employment opportunity. We would love for employers who have openings set aside interview slots to consider our program graduates.
- Material Donations– We would love to be able to provide hands on learning during both our Construction and GED classes. Any materials that could be donated to allow our youth an opportunity to construct an object would be helpful.
This list is just a few ways we would like to partner with members of our construction community. If your company has an innovative way to provide support to our program, we would love to hear about it!
Thanks again for your help in connecting us with your contacts. My office and cell phone is below… please feel free to connect me however you see fit.
You are appreciated!
Partners in Careers
Office: (360) 696-8417
Cell: (360) 901-1516